Sunday, July 1, 2007

Internship

My blog has turned into a journal of technical accomplishments. Some of my posts probably don't apply to many people. But I have written them because they were things that I wished people had blogged about so that I wouldn't have to spend so much time figuring it out. So, ultimately, I hope they can help someone wanting to do similar things.

As the title of this post indicates, I have started my internship with a Big 4 Accounting Firm. In fact, I have survived 2 weeks of training and firm orientation. This is my first experience with a truly global company/firm. The resources that this firm has is incredible. There were over 120 interns in our intern training group representing the pacific southwest area. We stayed in a very nice hotel in downtown Los Angeles and had catered breakfast and lunch everyday. We even had some nice dinners and room service. They gave each intern a brand new laptop and corporate charge card. They also spent 2 weeks training us on their audit methodology and the importance of the work that they and the other firms perform. We heard from many partners, managers, and staff throughout the 2 weeks. What I'm trying to say is that they spend a ton of resources (money) on interns. It was quite impressive.

Money isn't everything of course. I'm more excited to see how the 'work' will be. I'm anxious to see what I'll be doing and how I can contribute to the team and to the firm. My goal of doing this internship is to see if this is where I would like to launch my career.

Tomorrow I begin the first day of work and I'm excited to see how it will go. There are many things that I like about working for this firm and there are things that I'm skeptical of. But as with anything, it takes careful thought, experience, and advise if I decide (and if they give me a full time offer) to work for them after graduation. Ultimately, I'm excited to learn more and to get some more experience.

1 comment:

Scott Hanson said...

Hey Nate,

I had a similar experience during my first two weeks at E&Y. I'm also highly impressed by the resources the firm brings to the game, even for interns.

Unfortunately, I *still* haven't done any real work, as we had two days off this week (paid time off is nice!) and the other three I've been in the office for our intern project. Like you, I really want to get out on a client and get my feet wet.

The biggest question I have right now is whether I can truly get excited about auditing the work of others. From what I understand, we have nothing to do with planning IT infrastructure, implementing security, or even recommending controls in any depth. We're just testing what's already there and letting the core auditors know whether or not it is effective.

In other words, we're not working directly to help clients improve their business, and we're not really getting our hands on the technology. I can't see a lot of creativity, strategic thinking, or innovation in the work we'll do, and that may be a dealbreaker for me.

It's also more of a "business with some IT" job, and I think I would prefer "IT with some business." What I think is great about E&Y is the defined career path that gets you moving quickly up the ladder. I'm just not sure if it's the ladder I want to be on. Time will tell!